Global Delivery Model
Global Delivery Model is the most successful outsourcing model amongst all the other models. It’s a combination of onsite model and offshore model but unlike the onsite/offshore model wherein the offshore development center of service provider is located at only one place, in the global delivery model the service provider has its offshore development centers spread out across the entire globe. The service provider need not have their own offshore development centers across the globe but they can use the resources of their partners located around the globe, and thus follow a global delivery model. This provides the client with a large working team with varied qualities and expertise in different fields.
Tasks Accomplished by the Onsite Team
Tasks Accomplished at the Offshore Development Center
- Understanding the client’s requirements.
- Directly interacting with the client to get a better idea of their needs and changes in them, if any.
- Acting as a mediator between the client and the offshore development centers.
- Planning & Designing the initial steps of the project.
- Allocation of Tasks amongst the available resources.
- Testing the outcome of the project in tandem with the client’s team.
- Executing the project successfully at the client’s place.
- Provide the required support for maintenance.
- Detailed design that will be continuation of what the onsite team designed.
- Deciding any specific technological requirements for the project.
- Testing before handing over to onsite team.
- Continuous technical support.
Global delivery model is preferred where the client requires that the job be done in a quick manner, which is made possible by the number of offshore teams working together towards the completion of the task. Also where the project is very big requiring sufficient skilled manpower to complete the task this is the only model, which provides solution in such cases. The level of risk involved is also minimum since even if any of the offshore development centers face any disaster the project work will not be stopped, as the work can be transferred immediately and continued by the remaining offshore development centers.
Advantages of Global Delivery Model
- Lower Risks: In case of any disaster/emergency at one of the offshore centers, the work continues at or is transferred to other offshore development centers. So the risk involved is low.
- Round-the-Clock Productivity: 24*7 work cycle becomes possible because of the time-zone difference.
- Best Results: Accomplishment of high quality work is possible, as the client will get the benefit of skilled manpower spread out across the globe.
- Shorter Lead-Time: Shorter project completion time as the work is completed by a number of offshore development centers working together with the same target.
- Cost benefits: The cost saving benefits for the client resulting from offshore outsourcing is also appreciable.
- No New Employee Additions Required: The service provider can provide the client with a large working team with varied skill set, which the client may not be able to employ for just the task at hand.
- No Possibility of Communication Gap: Onsite team, which will be in direct contact with the client, is able to understand the client’s needs in a better way. So no chance of misunderstanding the client’s needs.
- Faster Response: Because of onsite team’s presence response to changes in client’s requirements is fast.
Having a perfect co-ordination between all the offshore development centers and that too in accordance with the client’s satisfaction is a big task. However this limitation can be overcome today by making the best possible use of the most modern means of communication.